Quarterback sacks filled grocery sacks
Food Lion Feeds with ECU partners | courtesy Food Lion
If you liked tracking stats for your favorite NCAA college football team throughout the 2019 season, you may not have known there was an extra reason to cheer on the defense.
Salisbury, NC-based grocery store chain Food Lion partnered with nine North Carolina colleges and universities, through their “Food Lion Feeds” program, and during the regular season, for every quarterback sack made by the participating college, 1,000 meals were donated to a local Feeding America-affiliated food bank.
The program provided 242,000 meals to help feed North Carolinians in need.
“[W]e’re committed to fighting hunger in the towns and cities we serve, and we were cheering on each school to rack up as many sacks as they could to help us in this mission,” said Food Lion spokeswoman Emma Inman. “The Sack to Give Back program was a fun and unique way to join with each school and its players to fight hunger across North Carolina…”
The participating colleges and the number of meals donated through their team’s sack totals are listed below:
- Duke University – (30 sacks), 30,000 Meals Donated to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
- North Carolina A&T University – (30 sacks), 30,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
- North Carolina State University – (30 sacks), 30,000 Meals Donated to Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina
- Wake Forest University – (30 sacks), 30,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
- Appalachian State – (29 sacks), 29,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – (28 sacks), 28,000 Meals Donated to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
- East Carolina University – (23 sacks), 23,000 Meals Donated to Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina
- Elon University – (22 sacks), 22,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest of Northwest NC Food Bank
- Catawba College – (19 sacks), 19,000 Meals Donated to Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina
The chain partnered with two schools outside of North Carolina as well. Food Lion has more than 1,000 stores in 10 Southeastern and Mid-Atlantic states and employs more than 63,000 people.